Hungerford & Clark
In 1940 Richard Hungerford began providing funerals for families in a Bedell St. home in Freeport, NY. During this time it was common practice for funeral directors to host wakes and memorial services in the home of the deceased. Mr. Hungerford recognized the need to assist families in their grieving process in a facility specifically designed for this purpose. Through his dedication to the families he served, the Bedell Street funeral home soon exceeded its location and Hungerford Mortuary needed to move to a larger facility.
The following year, Mr. Hungerford purchased one of Freeport’s oldest colonial homes on the corner of Pine Street and Ocean Avenue, where it is still located today. The original building dates back to 1903 and much of the funeral home’s original facade has been maintained to reflect the heritage of both the building and the surrounding area.